Looking Back on 2017

I feel like 2017 was a big year for the whole world. Not necessarily a GOOD year, but a big year nonetheless. There was a lot of tragedy in our country. My life was definitely transformed for many reasons. It's become a little tradition of mine to do these end-of-year recaps, so here is what my 2017 looked like:

January:


January wasn't a terribly big month for us. It did snow in that one month more than the entire rest of Winter. I definitely wasn't a huge fan of that.

February:


February wasn't very exciting either. We did do the Fast Metabolism Diet, so that was kind of what our lives revolved around - lots of meal prepping. It was worth it though. I don't generally put much stock in Fad Diets, but I do recommend this one. You don't go hungry and I did lose quite a bit of weight. If you want more information on this, just let me know.

March:


We celebrated the big 5-0 for my mom this year. She'll probably kill me for saying that, so... sorry mom! We didn't do anything big for it because... she didn't want anything big.
We also celebrated my sister, Christine's birthday. March is kind of a big birthday month for us.


My nephew Travis was baptized (not the nephew pictured - this picture was just taken at the baptism). This was such an amazing experience. For one, Mike got to baptize Travis. For two, he is our first nephew/niece to be baptized and he set such a good example for the younger ones. I can't wait to watch other ones take this step.



Mike's cousin/best friend, Sam & Kaela, had their beautiful baby girl, McKinlee. We've become pretty obsessed with her ever since.

Much like February, we focused a lot on our physical health in March. I stuck to my goals almost all month. Until...


I got my wisdom teeth out. This was something I've been avoiding for years, but it finally caught up with me. One of my bottom wisdom teeth kept getting infected because it was soft-tissue impacted. Luckily, I was able to get put out for the procedure. Side note: None of that puffiness in the picture is from the filter... that's my swelling in all its glory.

April:


We celebrated my sister-in-law, Sondra's, birthday (the one on the right).


If this isn't the most emotional picture that exists in the world, I don't know what is. My baby brother's, Caleb & Joshua, opened their mission calls in April. Caleb was called to the Rancagua, Chile mission & Joshua was called to the Bogota, Colombia mission. They are both in South America and both speaking Spanish. Watching them open their calls was one of the most emotional and spiritual things I've ever experienced. They chose to open them with just immediate family so that they would take it 100% seriously. A couple days later, they "re-opened" them in front of all their friends. Let's just say I'm very glad they did it with immediate family first. This day honestly changed my life and it pretty much shaped the rest of our year.



I needed these black stiletto nails to properly prepare myself for the next big thing that happened to us in April: Our trip to Vegas for the Avenged Sevenfold concert (my favorite band for the past 12 years).



On our way to Vegas, we stopped in St. George for lunch and made a quick stop at the St. George Temple. We just hung out on the grounds for a bit.




The concert that we were going to was actually a two-day festival called Las Rageous. Friday night (the night we got there) was not the night Avenged Sevenfold was playing, so we decided to skip that day of the festival and just wander around The Strip. I don't regret this decision. We had so much fun and got to see a lot of things that Mike had never seen before.





Saturday night was the night! I can't even explain the excitement I was feeling. It was my first ever concert and it was AVENGED SEVENFOLD. It literally took my breath away to see them on stage, and I may or may not have shed a tear or two. 
A lot of people don't expect me to be into heavier music, but it's something that I've loved since my 13 year old emo-phase. Music has always been something that speaks to me on an emotional (and sometimes spiritual) level, and Avenged Sevenfold was a band that got me through some of my hardest times & phases of life. This concert was truly a dream come true. They were everything I could have hoped for and more. They sounded amazing live and M. Shadows (the lead singer) was so good at engaging the crowd. I was highly impressed. I can't wait to see them in concert again someday.

May:



I started May off by seeing some friends that I hadn't seen in wayyy too long (Lauren had actually been on a mission for a year and a half so it had been a REALLY long since I'd seen her). I've always been so grateful for these girls. They're incredible influences and we always have such an amazing time.



We celebrated cutie Miles turning 20. I cannot believe that he's that old. It's weirder to watch my brother's grow up then it was for me to grow up.



Caleb & Joshua turned EIGHTEEN!! I'm still reeling at this. All Hubbard siblings are officially adults - so weird. This picture was taken at Caleb & Josh's volleyball championship that happened to fall ON their birthday. They played so well this day, so I definitely think they had a little birthday luck. Volleyball pretty much filled up our lives for a good six months, and we wouldn't have had it any other way. That's one of the things I miss most now that my brother's are gone - watching them play sports. These Winter months are very empty without their games.




Since it was their last birthday we would celebrate with them for two years, Mike & I decided to make this one a big celebration. We picked them up on Friday night, we took them to Chili's for dinner and let them order whatever they wanted, we took them shopping for a little while, we all went & saw Guardian's of the Galaxy Two, we went and got lots of junk food from the grocery store, & then we went home and watched movies while eating all said junk food. Mike & I always try to stay up late with them, but I swear we're just an elderly married couple who can't stay up past 11 PM (I might be the main culprit).
On Saturday, we woke up early, got breakfast from Kneader's, and then headed up to the Hogle Zoo. Miles met us there too. We all just kinda wandered around and laughed. I have a video of Caleb chasing a peacock around pretending that he too is a peacock. There is literally never a dull moment. After the Zoo, we got some lunch, and then finished the day off with some bowling. We had a lot of experiences in the months before they left that I will cherish forever, but especially while they're gone. I'm really grateful that we were able to take them for this epic birthday weekend.



Next step was their graduation from Seminary.





Then came their graduation from High School. I definitely bawled like a baby at this one. This was kind of when it all set in that they were growing up, and they were going to be leaving me soon.
The top picture is all of the Hubbard siblings. Us being all together didn't occur very often, so we try to document it when it does.

Last event that happened in May, regarding my brother's, was their ordination to become Elder's. I, obviously, don't have any pictures from this, but I certainly wanted to mention it. We all got a chance to say some words about both Caleb & Josh. I was pretty emotional, so I'm not sure anyone understood me, but I told them what great examples they have always been to me. Sometimes I feel like they're the older siblings that are guiding me, instead of the other way around. I know that Caleb & Joshua are going to change the world & they're already working on it... in South America. They really are two of God's greatest soldiers.



One other thing that I felt was worth mentioning, was the fundraising my company did for cancer research. My Grandma Shepherd died from breast cancer when I was about 12-13 and it really affected my life. My grandma & I have a lot in common & she is someone that I really wish was around to share those traits with. Because of this, cancer research is something that I always want to be an advocate for.

June:




I may or may not have decided that getting a tanning pass was a good idea. Summer was upon us, I didn't have time to spend an hour laying out every day, and I was sick of being pale. I've been lectured by everyone under the sun, including my dermatologist, but being tan just makes me feel good about myself. I was also very good about staying on top of my work outs. I was in the best shape that I probably ever have been.
Oh yea... I dyed my hair pink too ♥



I hung out with my cute friends some more. Thank you Ulta for amazing lighting!





We ran a 5K for the Huntsman Cancer Research! It was my first, and probably last, 5K but it was such a good cause so I did it! Mike, me, my mom, Joshua, my cousin Ally, and a lot of Mike's family chose to run it with us. I spent most of the time with my sister-in-law, Megan, and my nephew, Dylan. It really was such a cool experience. We went to Mike's Uncle Joe's wedding/BBQ afterwards & hung out with more of Mike's family.




Another HUGE step for my brother's was... getting endowed! It was made even more special by the fact that our twin cousins (only a month younger than our twins) went through the temple with Caleb & Josh. Being with all four of them in the temple, along with lots of other family members, was indescribable. I didn't think I could love the temple more - until my brothers were there with me. It makes strong bonds grow even stronger.



Last thing in June was my Aunt Jen getting sealed. Jen is the mother to the other set of twins (Dylan & Dallas) that went through the temple with Caleb & Josh. This means that they also got to be there when their mom/Jen was sealed. My brothers also got to be there before they left on their missions. June was such an amazingly spiritual month with lots of temple attendance. I don't say it enough, but I know this Gospel is true and I am eternally grateful for it in my life.

July:

July held a lot of different emotions for me. It was probably the biggest month of the year.



We didn't do much to celebrate Independence Day. I'm not sure we even did any fireworks.



The first of the four boys to leave was Dallas. He is serving in the Fort Worth, Texas mission Spanish Speaking. He is loving it. He may have stayed in the States, but he is definitely benefiting because he gets wayyy more packages then the other three ever will (haha).
Dallas leaving really made it click for everyone.









We got family pictures taken, literally, the Saturday before Caleb & Joshua left. I think this is the first time we've ever PAID for professional family photos. We knew we needed good ones because it's the last time we'll get any until 2019. It'll be cool to take some then and see how much we've all changed.



Next up was Caleb & Josh's farewells. They did amazing jobs & I would be surprised if there was a dry eye in the room. I bawled like a big baby - like embarrassingly. I'm actually going to tell you what I wrote in my journal about this day:
"SO many people came to support them. That alone made me emotional. Both of their talks were on the blessings of the temple. A bunch of our cousins and their friends helped bless and pass the sacrament. That was cool to see. Caleb spoke first. I wish I had/could have recorded them. At the end of his talk, Caleb talked about leaving Josh and he cried, which made me lose it. We also started the meeting with Called to Serve so I bawled then too. Josh spoke next. That boy is so close to the Spirit. My mom spoke for a second and talked about the Armies of Helaman, and how Caleb, Josh,and their friends are those armies. Lastly, their bishop said a little bit. He had Caleb & Josh come stand on each side of him. He mentioned all the people they need to remember to pray for while they're on their missions... the last person he said was my dad and I lost it. It was kinda embarrassing. It was an amazing Sacrament Meeting. I'm so freaking proud of those two."
We had a little luncheon afterwards, but I mostly kept to myself because I was so emotional.



The next day, Caleb & Joshua were set apart as missionaries. I'm not going to give details of this because I think it's too personal, but know that it was literally one of the most spiritual things I've ever experienced. I know that these two will be watched over & protected by our loving Heavenly Father. If I ever doubted that before, I certainly didn't doubt it after they were set apart.



The next day was probably one of the hardest days of my life. This was the last "selfie" I took with Caleb & Josh before they left. You can pretty much read all of our emotions on our faces.





I'm going to use the words from my journal again:
"As soon as we started walking into the airport, the water works started and never really stopped. We got Josh all checked in and then we went and sat as a family for awhile. I just held onto them as tight as I could. Caleb & Josh seemed way more calm than the rest of us. When it came time for Josh to leave, we walked him up to the security line. That's where we said goodbye. I didn't want to let go. Then watching Caleb & Josh say bye to each other absolutely broke my heart. Then we all sat and watched Josh walk away from us. I'll never forget that sight. My baby brother walking away to serve the Lord and become a man. Caleb's flight didn't leave for a few more hours, so we went and found a place to sit for awhile. Sondra went to Subway to get us all food. We just sat and talked with Caleb and held on tight. We did our best to laugh and be happy. Caleb ended up realizing that he hadn't brought exercise shoes, so my mom and him had to quickly go to Ross to get him some. They found some construction orange Nike's - perfect for Caleb. We went and sat upstairs when the time got closer. Luckily, we finally found some other missionaries that were going to Chile. We had found quite a few that were going with Josh to Colombia. Saying bye to Caleb might have been a little bit harder, but I think it was because he was the last to go... Both of my baby brother's were officially leaving me. I hugged him so tight. Nothing could have prepared me for how broken I felt. I am SO proud of them, but nothing will be able to fill their void in my life. We stood and watched Caleb until we couldn't see him anymore. I lost it again as we were walking out of the airport... it felt so final."

I know it sounds like I didn't want my brother's to go... I did/do. I wouldn't change any of it, but that doesn't make them leaving any easier. I've had people reprimand me for being so upset about them leaving. I lost my brothers & best friends for the next two years. That's hard no matter what way you spin it. BUT, even if the decision was 100% up to me... I still would have had them go on missions. They're already growing up so much and they're happy - that's what matters to me. Both Caleb & Joshua 100% made their decision to serve a mission. They were not pressured by anyone. And if you know ANYTHING about either of them... you'll know that they don't let others influence their decisions. Honestly, they had people pressuring them NOT to go. It's a flaw and a strength all-in-one that every member of my family is so freaking stubborn.




A couple days after my brother's left, Mike & I left to go to Mike's family reunion. My hope was that it would take my mind off of my brother's, and it did. It was nice to get away, disconnect from all social media, and spend time with family (especially my nieces & nephews). Mike & Landon shared some chili dogs and this is how it ended for them both... so freaking adorable ♥

August:

MY BIRTHDAY MONTH!!



I spent the first couple days just making a chain for my brother's coming home. It is epic. Moving it is literally a feat in itself.






I got to have a girl's weekend with my best friend. We went up to Salt Lake and stayed the night with Chantel's sister, Chelsea, and a friend of Chelsea's. Saturday morning started off with some room service breakfast that was pretty delicious. Then we spent most of the day at Avenues Day Spa. We got a full body scrub (my favorite part), a facial, a manicure, a pedicure, and then it ended with a massage. It was definitely some much needed relaxation. We had P.F. Chang's for lunch, walked around City Creek Center for awhile, and then ended the night by seeing 47 Meters Down. Chantel & I have always had a weird obsession with shark movies, even though they freak us out so bad (haha).




I TURNED 25!!! I really don't feel that old, but what's new. I was definitely spoiled by the people in my life. My friend Natsumi gave me some amazing makeup, we had a birthday lunch for me at work, I got a pedicure with Kaeley, my mom, Mike, & I got dinner at Brick Oven, I got a free cupcake from Sweet Tooth Fairy, & we ended the night by hanging out with Sam & Kaela. The next day... Mike took me shopping. Let's be real... that's always my favorite part. I spent way more money than I should have, but again, what's new? Christine & Sondra also gave me this AMAZING planner - I'm obsessed with it. 




The big solar eclipse happened pretty close to my birthday. My work got smoothies and glasses and we got to sit outside and watch it. Check out my uncle's face... he's the tall guy in the back wearing yellow. He just looks so happy - kills me every time. The eclipse was definitely kind of trippy. Miles went to Idaho so he could experience it in all it's glory.



Dylan's farewell was in August (he didn't leave till September). He was the last of the four to leave. He is serving in the Fortaleza, Brazil Mission Portuguese Speaking (sorry if I slaughtered that name).

September:



I had one more cousin leave on a mission - he's from my dad's side of the family. Daniel was really close with Caleb & Joshua too. I have five family members on missions currently, and one just returned home the very end of December. Daniel (pictured) is serving in the Fresno, California Mission.




I went to the second concert of my life: Muse & 30 Seconds to Mars. I was really just there for 30 Seconds to Mars - I love their music and I'm slightly obsessed with Jared Leto. 



This is Mike & I celebrating the fact that... WE'RE OFFICIALLY HOME OWNERS!!! We bought the condo that we've been living in for the past two years. It was my grandpa's. It was always our intention to buy it, we just needed a little time to get our feet underneath us. We will be starting renovations in the first of 2018. I'm so excited to watch our home transform.







We went down to spend time with Mike's family over Conference weekend. We went shooting and I got to shoot some guns that I've never shot before. I'm not the most outdoors-y person ever, but I actually had a lot of fun. Plus, the second to last picture is probably my favorite picture of Landon & I EVER. He's so freaking cute!



October:



I started the best month of the year out right - by getting my extensions back. I had never had them during the winter months, so I was so excited to have them for beanie weather. I still go to Jessi at JZ Styles Salon. You really can't beat her talent. 




My family made our traditional trip to Gardner's Village. It was weird without the twins but still good. Josh reminded me that we only have to go one more time without them.



This is my friend Chance. We work together and like to match. She's one of the greatest humans. I just wanted to throw her into this enormous post.



On October 27th, we celebrated Mike's 26th birthday and our five year anniversary. We made a trip down to St. George to do said celebrating. We stayed with my grandparents and had so much fun. They took us out to dinner, and they even surprised Mike with this cute little cake.








We played Pickleball with my grandparents and I didn't completely suck. We also got to go to the Cedar City Temple open house with my grandparents & cousin, Ali. I love seeing all the new temples that are popping up - I am very fortunate to live in Utah and have so many so close to me. I really loved the color scheme of the Cedar City Temple.



You obviously can't forget Halloween. I did a full post on my look in November - if you're interested in the details. I was a lion and my mom was Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter.



Just a great blooper picture for your viewing pleasure. My very own Marilyn Monroe moment.

November:




November wasn't a terribly eventful month for us. We got released from the calling we've had for the last year and a half. We were serving in the Branch Presidency at a care center. Being released meant we were going back to normal church. It was pretty bittersweet.
Obviously, Thanksgiving is in November. It wasn't a very big ordeal this year. Christine & Sondra had dinner with Sondra's family, so our Thanksgiving was me, Mike, Miles, & my mom. We ate dinner, went on a walk, ate dessert, and watched White Christmas. That was pretty much the extent of it. We did put a picture of Caleb & Josh at the table with us. We also did a voice recording for them where we said what we were thankful for.

December:





December didn't start out on a super great note for us. Kato, my sister's three-legged dog, went to heaven. His health had been deteriorating for a long time - he had cancer. It was super hard for me & even more so for Christine & Sondra, but we know Kato is running around on four legs in heaven having so much fun.

December was filled with parties, as it is for many people. We hosted Mike's family Christmas party at our house this year. All of Mike's siblings (minus one) and parent's, came up and spent a night at our house. It was very chaotic, but worth it. We played games, ate lots of food, and just hung out. I didn't get any pictures unfortunately.




Next, was my work's Christmas party. Mike was out of town for work, so he didn't get to attend this one with me. I'm not even going to try and explain the second picture... just know that it kind of embodies how the Christmas party went. And Chance might kill me for posting this picture for the world to see, but I laugh so hard every time I look at it.



Next came Christmas Eve. My family has a big breakfast on Christmas Eve morning every year. This is really the only get-together my WHOLE family does together anymore. It's my favorite tradition.
I really struggled with the whole holiday season this year. Mike was gone for the whole week before Christmas and then, obviously, Caleb & Josh are gone too. I just didn't have the Christmas Spirit this year...




Christmas Spirit or not... my Christmas pajamas were the greatest in all the land.



Mike & I on Christmas morning.
By far, the greatest part of my Christmas was Skyping with my brothers. I screamed when I saw their cute faces. One hour didn't even come close to being enough time for us all to say what we wanted - especially when there was seven people all gathered around a little computer screen (their best friend, Spencer, surprised them and came to Skype with them too). To see that they're happy and healthy is the best present I could have asked for (even if Josh was dripping sweat... it's summer in Colombia).



My cousin, Austin, returned home from his mission & we had his homecoming on New Year's Eve Day. It was so great to see him & catch up. I feel like his two years went by SO fast, so I can only hope that my brother's two years go by that fast too. We are officially five months down already.

New Year's Eve meant Mike & I have been together for NINE YEARS!!! That really blows my mind. We didn't really do much to celebrate. We spent the night with my sister's, watching movies, and eating way too much junk food. I am eternally grateful that Mike decided I was worth taking a chance on nine years ago. ♥

I'm really excited for 2018. I feel like it's gonna be a big year for Mike & I. I might have said that about 2017... I'm not sure. Regardless, I'm excited. It'll be another year of growth & progress. We are starting the renovations on our house and I can't wait to show you some Before & After's. 
I'm just excited, guys! I feel like I learned a lot about myself in 2017 & now I get to put that knowledge to good use in 2018!

XOXO, Danielle ♥

Comments

Popular Posts