National Waiter's Day

This is going to be a really fast post, but this holiday means a little something extra to me. I'm not really serving anymore, but I was a server for three years. I've had some of the most amazing customers ever and I've had some of the most terrible ones too. I don't know why people think that they have the right to treat ANYONE like that. 
Last night, I was going to dinner with my friend Chantel and I knew it was a perfect opportunity to celebrate this holiday. Before we got there, I planned on tipping my waiter 50%. Well... They weren't the greatest server I've ever had. She barely greeted us, she forgot a part of Chantel's order, she checked on us maybe once the whole time, never refilled our drinks... I could go on. I started to rethink my decision to tip her 50%. I was frustrated and I definitaly didn't feel like she cared about our experience at all. Then I started thinking about my own serving career... While I would like to think that I've never ignored a customer like that, I do know that I've had some terrible days that I still had to work through. I've definitely worked shifts where I did the bare minimum amount of work just to get me through the shift. 
For all I knew, this girl's dog could have just died, her last table could have said something really terrible to her, maybe it was just one of those days where you're not coping well. And yes... maybe she is just a terrible server. But who am I to judge that? I tipped her the 50% and I left feeling pretty great. I really hope that the tip made her day a little better. I've had many a tips that was exactly what I needed to pick me up, and I hope that's what I was for her.
Be kind to your servers. For heavens sake, be kind to everyone.
Now here's some awesome pictures of Chantel & I through the years (we've been friends for ten years).








Happy Friday!!

Comments

Popular Posts