Dressing For Your Body Shape

Today I wanna talk about dressing for what looks best on your body. I'm gonna focus on dresses and skirts. I know there are technically LOTS of different body types, but the ones I wanna focus on are: Inverted Triangle, Rectangle, Hourglass, and Pear. I'm still pretty unclear as to what body shape I am. I would probably say rectangle because I really have zero curves. 

First, we'll talk about Inverted Triangle (also sometimes known as apple). This is when you have a smaller lower body and you have more weight abound your middle. It's pretty much the opposite of pear. The best skirts/dresses to wear if this is your body type are high-waisted, pleated skirts. The top of the skirt will be tightest around your waist, accentuating the smaller part of your middle, and then the pleated part will cover up your midsection. Also, the shorter hemline will help you show off those sexy, slender legs.

Next we'll talk about pear shape, this is when your hips are the widest part of your body. The best skirt/dress to wear for this body shape is an a-line. The waist part of the dress/skirt will cling to your waist and show off the slimness of it, and then because of the shape of the skirt, it will drape down perfectly onto your hips/lower body and minimize the width of your lower half.

Next is what a lot of people try to achieve: hourglass. This is when you have all the right curves in all the right places. It also means you have a pretty small waist. The best skirt for this shape is a classic pencil skirt. A pencil skirt will accentuate your small waist, and then it will also hug your curves and smooth out those thighs. Whenever I think of the hourglass shape I imagine all the Kardashian's, and if you notice, they wear LOTS of pencil skirts to show everyone the curves they have that they're so proud of. (Don't hate me, but the Kardashian/Jenner's are kind of my guilty pleasure... maybe minus Kim).

Lastly, we're gonna talk about rectangle. I saved this one for last because it is what I kind of think I am. Rectangle is when your body is all about the same width. Your hips are the same distance apart as your shoulders and such. The best skirt for this body type is, supposedly, a form fitting mini-skirt. The tightness of the skirt will show off any curves you do have and the mini part will accentuate those awesome legs. I have definitely struggled with body image issues for most of my life, but I can honestly say that I've always been pretty proud of my legs. I've never really been a tight skirt person though. I like soft, flowy skirts and dresses. Here are some pictures of my favorites:


 Pictured left is one of my favorite dresses. It's comfy and adorable. The dress is from H&M, the vest, necklace, and shoes are all from Forever 21. I like this dress because it makes it look like I have somewhat of a waist, and then it is short enough (but not too short) that it shows off my legs. This is a dress that I can still wear after going through the temple and I really appreciate that.


Pictured right: I like this skirt for pretty much the same reasons I like the dress to the left. My skirt and flower t-shirt are both from Hope Ave, my skirt lengthener is from Urban Wear, and my shoes are from Forever Young Shoes.


Below: My skirt, sunglasses, and flower headband are all from Forever 21, my tank top is from H&M, and my shoes (barely pictured) are Van's from Journey's. This was an outfit I wore while we were in California. I loved the flowiness (not a word?) of the whole outfit and I really liked the colors together. 
 


Lastly, I will leave you with pictures of me when we were in Vegas. I LOVE this dress. It literally accentuates all my favorite parts of myself and it's bright neon pink so it helps me stand out. I like wearing things that make me stand out. I got this dress from H&M and my earrings are from Charming Charlie's. 




The top picture is me in front of the Mirage Hotel and the bottom picture is me pretending to gamble in the Treasure Island Hotel. I think I'm hilarious. :)

Comments

Popular Posts