Modest Fashion

Being modest is easier said than done. It's something I've struggled with doing my whole life. I want people to realize that I am in NO way judging people by what they wear. How I dress is MY choice and I expect everyone to make that choice for themselves. I feel like if you are happy & comfortable with what you're wearing... That's all that matters. Now, with that said--because of my religion I do choose to wear modest clothing. Growing up it was a requirement and it was something that I hated. I fought my mom on it so hard, and I was definitely one of those girls who wore one thing to school and then changed into something that my mother would not approve of once I was at school. I had that attitude pretty much till age twenty. Obviously once I moved out, I no longer had to hide what I was wearing. 
When my husband and I got married, we knew that eventually we wanted to get sealed in the temple. I, then, decided to make an effort to only buy modest clothing so that when we went through the temple I wouldn't have to buy a new wardrobe. We went through the temple this past July, and I wore short shorts and tank tops up until that day. I'm not proud of that, but I will always have my rebellious streak. 
Everyone always asks me how hard it is to wear garments... it's not. I will admit that I struggled at first, but now, some days, I forget that I'm even wearing them. I have actually grown to love them. It can be hard to find clothes that I can easily wear. The hardest things I've found is the necklines... If they're too wide I have to wear a t-shirt underneath and I don't love that. 


This shirt is an example of necklines that are hard. I now have to wear another shirt underneath. It doesn't look bad and it's not uncomfortable... I just for some reason kinda struggle with it. This shirt is awesome though. It's super comfy and I LOVE elephants. The shirt is from Pac Sun. My jeans are from Forever 21, and my boots are from Forever Young shoes (I promise I have shoes from other places). 


I thought that finding long enough skirts and dresses would be a lot harder than it is. I am pleased to say that I can still wear all my skirts and dresses. Plus, even if they were a little shorter, you can always throw some leggings on or use a skirt lengthener. My skirt pictured is from Forever 21 (it's barely long enough, but I can do it!). My stripped shirt is from Pac Sun, and both my denim vest and sandals are from Target. 

If you are struggling with having to wear modest clothing--don't give up hope. It is VERY possible to dress modestly and have cute style at the same time. Invest in some Shade shirts to go underneath tops, cardigans and jackets to go over the top, and some leggings and skirt lengtheners for the bottoms. 

Happy Wednesday! Half way done with the week! (:

Comments

Popular Posts